About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Gift Exchange Syndrome

Gift Exchange Syndrome is defined as the overwhelming feeling of giving and receiving gifts from relatives or friends because of severe exposure to the parents with this defect. Everyone likes getting presents once in a while, yeah I would love if someone could give me a scarf or ballerinas or a nice top from some mall. But what is the probability that it will be a nice one according to my taste. Most of the gifts I got have been average, traditional indian dresses or sandals or top, everything that showed no intentions of pleasing me, just fulfilling the formality. My mum-in-law tries way too hard, she buys me a lot of things but sadly i am a weirdo and I just don't like anything she gets me, my husband goes like oh still she chooses better than you. He is a mood spoiler anyways so we will let him be. Sometimes he just wants to be rude and hurtful, I guess he wants to let out his frustration so normally I don't even pay heed to what he says or what he does.


Indians expect a lot of gifts from each other. So when I leave my dad's house to in-law's house, i have to carry a box of dry fruits, when he comes to meet my in-laws he should bring gifts like sweets or clothes or cash to buy things for home. My husband is like a two faced indian- on one side he is cool, not adhering to customs, saying bitching about people wanting to live in a joint family, on other side he is like, its a major festival how can you leave so early for your parent's house, we should buy gifts for everyone ( not much just 20 people ), why don't we live in some other relative's house in the same city when my parents live just 2 kms apart. Still why bother, so I never point it out, I am like yeah we will buy okay i will try and then when the time comes, i run away to mamma. He feels betrayed but who wants to fight months over 2 days with parents, till now i have been winning. Between i never leave early, i always spend equal days in both houses, then he gives the famous arrange marriage benefits where girl takes all his considerate favors and appreciates them. She would quietly get presents, stay at in-laws for most of the holidays, do what he says but still she shouldn't be dumb. 


So I thought its just that around his parents he goes traditional and orthodox, but somehow my parents visited and all of a sudden he is like heyy why didn't they get us nice gifts, it feels nice to have gifts but how would you know babe you grew up in a poor family, i always had people getting video games action figures for birthdays home visits. Yeah he called me poor and downtrodden and anti-social, his rude arrogant words strike like a bullet and take me to crying mode. Well i am about to cry and he says you know truth is bitter, you were poor you don't have to cry now that i adopted you. What a douchebag. After all these episodes, I feel like its time to break free, just get divorced or separate for some time. And then even after all that, he says just tell him to get something next time, this his how society functions around in my house.I am not calling him or his parents greedy, its just that what i totally disbelieved in is what he calls me dumb idiot for. 


You can't respect me, you can't be with my parents without expecting them to take you out for dinner. Did your father take us out for dinner, did he bring us gifts when he stayed for 3 days not just 11 hours. Did he praise your food like mine did. Oh listen to the reasons why he didn't , in his words- it is my dad's house, not your dad's not yours so he can come and stay forever if he wants but your dad has to follow rules and be cautious. Yeah asshole perhaps its time my dad gets a new son-in-law who will let him have dinner without calling him thrifty on back. 




No comments:

Post a Comment