About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

What is fitness really ? Is it physical , mental, spiritual ? What is it we should be seeking ?

To give you a little background, my mother fell sick when I was 10. She had terrible stomach pain and kept vomiting which went on for over an year. Doctors told her she wouldn't survive till 40. Her body was weak and she had kidney problems blah blah. Yep, I am kinda glad they did tell her that. That was what drove her to live for us for herself. She was just 29 then. Who would want to die so early and live with such a terrible illness ? We saw her trying different things like eating jalebi at 5 or seeing various ayurvedic homeopathic doctors. What ultimately helped her get out shaped all our lives for future and it was lifestyle change to healthy eating and yoga.

I have always felt strongly about eating vegetables like oppo squash or chinese okra ( lauki, gilki ) or sprouts or fruits or salad. Whatever is healthy, I had no problems eating it. She made it tasty, we didn't even realize how well we were treating our bodies. Fried food was like once in 2 months affair and sweets were reinvented with jaggery and wheat flour and less oil. It was her will to eat right which made us eat right. Potatoes sugar chocolates were not even a craving. Of course we had festival snacks like shakkarpara gujia but it wasn't a routine thing. She made us go for walks where we talked laughed our heart out which we still do when we meet.

She wasn't pleasing us with food. She wasn't serving us fried potatoes or sweets that any kid would relish on daily if given. It was reserved for special occasions like birthdays or festivals or rare sundays with guests. Why did she go through so much pain of keeping up when she could have made what my dad or other kids would go crazy for? Because she didn't see it as an option to live by. She wouldn't have survived on that lifestyle and she knew by bringing us in, she could help us too make better life choices. Now I am so proud of  her, she is 50 practicing advanced yoga and walks 4 kms a day. You can't walk with her, she is so fast and active. I brag about her all the time.  She even managed to increase my sister's height when it stopped at 4' 8". Yoga can do anything.

When I look around and see friends becoming foodies or hating certain vegetables, it makes me wonder why didn't their moms stop them and correct them when they could. Why they decided to be on good side of kids ? Your job is to parent kids not become their friends. By the way, my mom is my best friend. We were never kicked slapped or shouted at. They knew we would listen if they talked and discussed. My father once got mad and kind of raised voice, within minutes he came back and apologized. He said that is no way to talk to a person. I am sorry I raised my temper. Please lets talk about it. My dad is a peace seeker. I have never seen him shouting or complaining. He's so laid-back and chilled. I kind of got the perfect genes if you think haha keeping aside the physical mom genes.

Then I got married to this guy with six packs. I had gained a bit because I slugged off in college. His fitness goals exceeded my normal small town talks. It wasn't just about food or walks or peace. It was about extensive training to train your body ninja style. Our bodies are capable of doing so much, almost everything any performer does our body can do. I am on that path now which trust me is super hard and sometimes you  just want to give up which I always do. The moment I give up is the moment that could change my life if I put in just half more time and effort. We are not so boring though, we drink we get stoned and then we eat salad. As long as everything is in moderation, it won't hurt.  So where really is the balance?

So how should you really go about physical fitness and mental spiritual path? I tried it all, so I do think I know the path that is worth treading.

If you have never ever worked out in life because you were fit or you never crossed paths with the idea I guess I must tell you its not about losing weight. Nah, you could be the skinniest person and sickest one at the same time. If you are going gym to just lose , don't do it. You will bounce back for sure and gain even more.

Are you willing to change your habits though? As you age, your body loses lots of things, most of them are the important ones like metabolism alcohol capacity  which is a blessing in disguise because a glass of wine makes you drunk and sleepy :) What to do in gym? Ohh I will go on treadmill and listen to music and come back or lift a few weights and come back. That won't help either. Been there done that. You have to be able to do a range of motions with your body. Can you do 30 perfect pushups? Can you do 50 squats? Can you do a full HIIT workout without gasping? That determines your fitness level. Machines can never give you the same results. Bodyweight training is important. There is this friend I hate, she joined ballet for a month and then she was like I go gym I do my stretches I run and I come back. She thinks she's gonna lose. I don't think so. You have to burn calories not tick off on calendar. Ohh inner peace help me out with this friend I loath to core.

So try my idea. First of all , take dailyburn for a month. Try all their workouts with whatever you are doing in gym. Then move to beachbodyworkout and take their workouts. Better do these with scoobyworkshop workouts for beginners. Then move on to your favorite trainer or you might not even need one. This is what helped me truly in physical aspect. There is miles to go, kickboxing mountain climbing  dancing. As soon as you do dailyburn, observe dancers you will see how much their bodies are flexible.   No its not bollywood thumka baraat dancing, see shahid kapoor dancing that is awesome body workout. I envy you if you can dance like shahid. I know there are way better dancers out there but he was the first one who popped up in my head. I can now walk 8 kms  which is not a lot but then I started with just 2.Flexibility with strength and endurance should be the focus not biceps triceps. And yeah for god's sake don't even talk about those medical cholesterol thyriod tests that claim you are healthy. My aged relative got a perfect score on those and still can't walk on those knees with overweight stature. Also, walking sucks, it doesn't burn any calories. Walk for peace music saving bus fare but health is not even slightly affected. You got to run.

Next one is food. You got to eat healthy. No one can really google recipes for you and don't be the person who brags about their morning honey lemon tea. Nah, a person who eats healthy is eating all day, they can't really tell all they ate for breakfast lunch dinner. Start with less oil sugar potatoes and rice once in  a week. Then incorporate yogurt salads sprouts eggs in your diet. Try to eat early by 8pm. And then there are thousand other tips when you google. So find your healthy routine for food. Don' t go on salad soup diet. It doesn't work unless prescribed by dietician. Better, get a diet chart made for you. Snack healthy too. Once in  a week, cheat diet doesn't mean you end up eating pizza burger all . Stop sugary drinks. As soon as you feel body change, you will yourself stop eating junk.

Last one is mental peace. Well, find your inner peace. I can't write just one paragraph for it. If someone drops a glass, one person will shout other will just sing and clean. Whats done is done, let it go be happy with your life. Whatever hampers your peace, throw it out or talk it out. And do read more articles on inner peace. I haven't tried meditation yet that is the next step for me.

Take out time for yourself , what is the point of working for others or job all day when you don't have time to work on yourself. Your body will crumble and fall if you don't take care. Look at your parents. And then look at milind soman. Seriously, what is with me today giving all indian celebrity examples. Anyways yeah get motivated, workout as a couple, meditate together, go on long nature walks. Life is simple, don't make it complicated with work and relatives. They give you nothing literally nothing. Do it for you.






No comments:

Post a Comment