About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Losing weight vs Being healthy

My college break was full of yoga, every semester I ate, gained weight did nothing even a bit athletic to help my body. At one point, it went to the extent my friends said I carried my own seat with me. They might have exaggerated a bit, still sadly no one ever told me why it was important to take care of body. Even when they asked me to lose weight, it was countered with reasons like you will look better with solutions like eat boiled food. So honestly the whole concept never appealed. It was done as a process with more focus on the part how people looked at me or rated me.

I maintained around 55kgs for 5 years. Sometimes if I worked out in gym more or did more beachbody kind of extensive workouts, it easily shed off to bounce back in few months adding little by little every month. 

With yoga also, the weight went flexibility came but change was never stable. I gained, I lost to gain again. Although after a while, yoga gave me the sense of handling my body, first time when I did crow pose or the bow pose, the amount of balance gave me a new rush. In that very moment, the why of fitness came to me.

We should be fit because when someone says run, jump we shouldn't be like a sack managing somehow. When you feel fit, you feel alive, you feel light like wind. Fat is not our friend, it makes us lethargic clung to sofas.  More lightness came with tabata, swimming. I never really did anything anymore that wasn't fun for me. Yoga is super fun, tabata is fun, swimming is so calmingly energetic. Would this work for everyone, nope, it depends on a lot what you like to have fun in. How you like to play with your body? Still weight wasn't stable. 

Now how much calories how many times what to eat how to eat blah blah doesn't really matter. We get lost in stupid diet complexities. All I did was I started taking 3 meals in a day in an interval of 6 hours. So all those metabolism 8 meals a day is not really good. It doesn't give your stomach time to relax, your body is constantly working unnecessarily. Shambhavi kriya also affected my weight. 
Yep, I don't eat fried food or restaurant food. Most of it is our simple indian vegetarian food, somedays its salads or fruits. I fast all ekadashis . Its like once in 15 days, you cleanse your body. 

Its the simplest thing to do. Just eat simple indian food, fast once in 15 days if possible weekly with fruits only, do yoga, eat 3 meals. When you eat, chew chew chew. Within 15 minutes you will feel full and done. As soon as you feel your stomach is 3/4th full, stop , you don't need more. Thats about it. All the weightlifting, cardio blasts, blah blah diets workouts are mere money schemes. Exercise eat like you are not controlling yourself all the time, you are enjoying life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment