About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Getting perfect in poses

Okay, I am super thrilled on my minor accomplishment of 45 classes in this year. It was not a huge hurdle and involved loads of breaks weekends on the way. When I walked into a gym an year ago, there was a board with challenges on, people would complete and tick off. In that moment, an easy wish surfaced, if only I did something worth challenging to be on the board. Then appeared the yoga challenge. It just fueled my spirit.

In my short yoga journey, there are a few tricks that helped me grow in a lot of poses. Some of them are down here.

Number one is for all the standing poses. The base of a standing pose is focus and your firm leg. Now push your knee back and all your toes hold on to ground like they are clinging on effortlessly. For more details, see description of bikram knee to head pose. Lock your knee, its like a click. This helps with all the standing poses. Once you nail it down, you can do dancers to tree pose. Once your leg is firm and stable like a tree, then shift your focus.

Number two is definitely the one that troubles me. The cobra pose and all the spine strengthening series needs a cobra tail. So when you lift your legs, they are like someone glued them together and there is no way they could separate. It takes enormous core and sucking in glutes together to get perfect bikram locust pose. Never ever start without legs fixed together even if it takes months to get that lift.

Number three is back rounding. We all know spine is the base of body and yoga poses. Unless, your instructor says specifically to round it, keep it straight. Even though you might be going for a backbend, feel full spine arched up. Its like the bow. Rounding up can be unhealthy if done in wrong pose. In standing separate leg stretching, don't go down unless back comes naturally. Give it time and effort, it will happen. Feel your spine lengthening in poses like you are just one from head to spine to hips.

Number four is for all the yang practitioners. If you don't feel the strength in arms even a bit, give it time. Keep taking classes till your core and back is strong. While some people can just kick into headstands, others like me take a lot of confidence to even warm up to the feeling of getting legs up. You can be at any stage. Never push beyond limits, you might injure yourself.

Number five is the hands. So when we do triangle or warrior 2, hands are never idle. In any of the yoga poses, hands are always stretched. My yoga teacher says feel like you are getting pulled in the direction of hands like you are tied to a rope. Your hand can't be just hanging around. Feel energy emanating from one hand to another. It doesn't come naturally to me. I have to focus to do it. In bikram half tortoise pose, hands are stretching forward feeling like there is a single line till hips. In balancing stick too, they are important. If they are hanging, you will never get the hang of a pose ;)

Next and last one today is neck and chin. Keep your chin up, keep you chin up. Hehe archi keep your chin up. Yeah this is the cue everyone throws at me. My natural posture is not great, its mostly a little chin down. So when you are doing the half moon pose, you should be able to see your neck like full long neck. I forget it all the time. As soon as you do chin up, your shoulders take right stance too. Try and tell me if it works.

In my last class, I was kind of tired so that gave in to the experiment. How much do I miss on without pushing myself , it wasn't even an inch. It just means my mind was more worked up than my body. When it was decided to shut up and let body flow, same results came. So just calm your mind and yoga on. Less stress, more breathing.






Thanks,
Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment