About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Proud returning NRIs: Over Hype or not

Blog sharing is pretty common on facebook now. As much as I hate facebook, it educates me on people's beliefs, lives blah blah kids. This one post got my attention. Obviously it did because we are NRIs who love it abroad. In the article, the woman describes her life in US as somehow incomplete without friends, maids, food inspite of the best luxury, safety, equality, job, fitness.

We all want different things in life so if she really wanted to go back, she should have. What bugged me more were comments on the post and immense likes. Again, there can be a huge community of people who do adore indian life way more than american way of living.

I grew up in India, spend almost 30 years of my life growing up. What those 30 years taught me needed so many upgrades. Even the wealthiest smartest people in metropolitan cities don't have the kind of lifestyle a normal american has. We never feel the need to add certain aspects to our daily living. Keeping the emotional angle of loving our country, living closer to our relatives family is kind of valid unless you are kind of detached like us.

In my 18 months of short stay here, it feels like we are still not there. From raising kids to fitness standards, everything is just touched on a very basic level. We love our kids so much we stop their development by snatching the basic freedom of doing things on their own. Its not chores, its like when a kid goes on trail with parents, they tell them to look after themselves. Even four year olds walk 3.5 mile uphill trails while indians are panting their way to parking. Its because we were not raised athletic at all. Sports was not a shining thing in middle class. Let alone teach responsibility over pampering.

As a woman, the kind of respect you get here would never be expected in india. The freedom of speech, the fact that no one bothers you ever on street, no matter how you dress up you are never stared at speaks a lot about this country. You can drink, walk home back, take buses trains and its all safe. My yoga instructors are so strong businesswomen. They don't care about it. Its like its a general trend. That to me is so motivational. We can't get over milind soman in india when there are people like modern tarzan up here. Check his instagram account. Check street workouts. Its all so inspirational. We can't stop talking about ramdev, shilpa shetty but honestly they are just on beginner levels. Ambitions find new ambitions here.

Then there is customer service standards. Have you seen this video where an indian is arguing with a cop on driving and cop is so utterly patient with this guy? Do watch it. They are studying humans, they are not disrespectful at all even though you might be completely out of line. My last encounter with an indian cop involved me spending an hour in sun which wasn't even required. Licensing office, insurance policies are so clear cut. I know India is changing but to reach this level of professionalism, it might take another decade.

Do I miss my friends and the big pool of people I could fish them from? Yes absolutely but not working has kind of restricted my circle. Maid issue doesn't even arise, you got vaccum cleaners, dish washers, washer dryers. To me life is way more convenient and practical here. I hated dealing with maids being sick or demanding. Do what you really want but never judge other people's life.

People who return can have several reasons from loneliness to family issues. Even though you go back, appreciate your stay here. Learn what you can in your stay. If you are just here for money, own it. I do see a future where all of us will be kicked out. So absorb the goods of this society while you still can.

Love your country but not so much you stop seeing the bad parts of it. Worse are those who try to bring country  here, cross roads without walk signs on, litter, break lines. That to me is downright wastage of a good opportunity to be civilized.  Don't condemn those who don't want to come back. You are not a hero if you went back. Life is flowing and it was just a decision.

Thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment