About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Questions you can ask almost all indians :)

When I first walked in my yoga studio, instructor or any other person in general didn't really know how to approach me. It being a new place took me enough time to warm up and be confident . And then I realized they couldn't think of a single conversation topic. Now indians are everywhere, some of us are friendly some of us look rude some of us look insecure but then most of us get treated the same. Approach with caution. Hehe. So like a knight in shining armor, I am going to rescue you all. Enter our world.

So here's my list of conversation starters for indians:

You can totally ask us how our day is going and sometimes we won't know how to respond since no one really has ever bothered to ask this one. So we will say good and conversation is a dead end. So instead of this ask heyy what an exotic name, what does it mean?

Second one could be how do I say your name which happens to me a lot lot more. Once they nailed my name, they couldn't stop saying it. Hmm names are sounds and we got pretty different sounds in ours. We love the fact that you try it. We do.

Next I know this sounds a bit intrusive but you can totally ask us if we are married. Then the conversation can go to their work blah blah.

My hairdressers always start off with the question hows your day going? Then most of them presume I had an arranged marriage and my haircut has been approved by my husband which doesn't really bother me because for most of my friends it is true. They do go with their husbands because they are shy or naive or they can't explain themselves well. But then I have friends who are pretty independent and would never allow their husbands to interfere. Its difficult to spot but just ask do you always keep your hair like this. If she mentions husband in conversation, yes she is still not that open. If she describes her style, she is open minded.

If she is open, you can ask her how they got married? How long she's been in states?

My hairdresser once asked me a weird question. You don't look indian, your complexion is different. Well, I appreciated her curiosity and told her how north and south india are different. Then she started the whole discussion on culture and how we thought which turned into a 2 hour conversation that ended me knowing her whole story. So just ask which part of india we are from? Is it important to keep long hair? I absolutely get its kind of beyond the line but we are so open to answering all the curiosities.

Another one that you can pop up is food. If you are into food or curry, ask us what we normally eat. You will be surprised to hear salad soup from most of us. We are changing.

You can ask us if we love dogs or kids or none. Most of the indians would say they have kids or love kids. Me, I hate kids love dogs cats nature. So now you can ask me where I go hiking whether I have dogs cats. See there is so much to know.

One time my hairdresser asked if meat was not a part of the culture and we discussed live in relationship, marijuana hehe I got real wild ones. Everything was apt. Because even though I am a vegan, I know meat is not anti cultural, it just caters to people's tastes. I have nothing against eating with people who order it. So yeah, try us.

Then of course if you meet us in yoga studio, you can ask us about our practice our favorite spots our teachers anything. You know what the fact is, we would love to talk about anything but boring indian yoga schools. At least I don't want to talk about it most of the times. I think western yoga is awesome tiring with a purpose to expand motivation.

You can ask us our favorite cuisines and most of us would end up saying chinese or thai.

Well, just start with these and you will find so much more to talk. We do have a different culture and country in us so if you can get it out, you will get some pretty interesting stories. :) Heehaa big topic indian weddings.


No comments:

Post a Comment