About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Traditions should evolve : My "Dandia" perspective

It is or was the dandia season like a few days ago. I have traditional friends and they were going crazy about it. Hmm come to think of it last dandia was awesome for me in chennai. We had a few drinks, wore my stupid chumbak kurta and just danced to every song form south indian kase panna to its time to disco 90s feel. There was no one selling dandia sticks for 5$, no one dressing up to impress. It was pure fun. Ooh chennai I love you so much.

Why do we associate festivals with wasting time grooming up and then learning dance steps so we don't embarrass ourselves. All you got to do is look a little presentable, have super funky music not that step 1 step 2 do i look beautiful step 3 step 4 is my hair bouncy step 1 what was step 2 again. Poor husbands are clicking pics of wives twirling in all the wrong ways.

If I could host a bollywood dandia party, it would be like no dandia sticks just music, people who are over dressed will be kicked out. Wear your comfortable sneakers groove to kala chashma dandia mix. Have drinks ooh indian appetizers again dance then go to jalebi stall. I think I just described an indian wedding for me. If you could have menus on indian wedding cards, it would be so much easier to decide and attend :) In my own wedding, I ate all the goodies waiting for baarat. If you think of it, it is easier for girls, poor guys make fools of themselves riding horse or even worse horse cart seeing sweaty asses dancing and keeping a kid close who they don't even care about. Hehe my guy got backpain and we had the awesomest pics like him not smiling at all and me giving all the vamp auditions.


I have to describe this wedding scene, we all know how much important bride's sisters feel for no apparent reason. You are not the one, let bride have it all. These particular sisters and her friends learned exact 6 steps to balam pichkari. Now every 15 minutes, the song would play and exact 6 steps followed. Haha so satisfying to see people dancing like everyone cares when in fact the only folks looking are those waiting in line to handover envelope and leave or eat or or the paid photographers ;)
Must have been a guy who invented makeup to fuck up our lives.

So my point is don't make festivals dresses dance steps sooooo big that it takes fun out of our life. Don't fret over minute things, life is simple so do the nagin step come on.





No comments:

Post a Comment