About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Thursday, March 30, 2017

My second yoga injury :(

As happy as my advanced bikram class made me, it did give me an injury. My advice, take it slow. I know you got all the bends, the flexibility but still look at your instructor's posture, listen to all the cues instructions properly and then execute the flow.

Its been 2 weeks of my lower back paying the price for my over excitement of showing off. When my class ended, it didn't hurt for 2 more days which just says I should have rested at least 2 days before I resumed my usual yoga. My enthusiasm killed my back. Since then, all the efforts to heal it have been vain. My dreams of getting 2 more perfect classes before I head for 3 weeks vacation are over. Hmm its not that sad. Its healing but timing couldn't be more wrong. This is straight 6 weeks of weak yoga. On top of that, all people who practice with me are going to be far ahead by the time I come back. This sucks.

Its my own doing of course. When you do some pose you have never done, please be careful. Listen to your body, your teacher. Take it in slow perfect motions. It might take 2 classes but at least you will not hurt yourself and loose more practice time. My back can't even take a camel pose now, I know I know. After an advanced class, take a break for at least 2 days. Ohh I wish someone told me this.

Lead with your chest. Don't use lower back in poses when it is not supposed to be. The green side of all this is now when I am in class, my back pain is helping me figure out which poses I was doing wrong. Also, you can't just sit at home. If you stop moving, it will get weaker. So get back in motion swiftly.

My yoga teacher suggested getting epsom salts which were great help too. Soak in them for 15 minutes in around 100 degrees. Be ready to doze off.  She pointed out my posture is wrong most of the time. Use your core archi. Suck it in other wise your lower back will suffer.

 If you get hurt, let it heal, let your body do its work. Just go with the flow. Thats all we can do anyways ;)

NAMASTE



No comments:

Post a Comment