About Me

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Strive for wholeness. If you are happy and content, there is nothing more you can achieve in material world. Life is not what we think it is.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Okk I love you chennai : Visiting India Part 3

I was kind of depressed for almost 4 hours but I am not going to take any words back. What I complained about was the truth. I seriously would have flown back if I could. Life's so much easier and convenient when you are in your home, your car to drive, your food to cook. Call me a whiny one, call me the one who is high maintenance , I  do wear these adjectives proudly. It just shows I am well cared for and my life has less struggles than most people. By the way, unnecessary struggles are for morons.

Now getting back, I remembered why I loved chennai. The city reminded me why I have posted almost 4 articles on my relationship with it. Today, I dared to step out and called a cab. Relying on hotel, it went on smoothly and as my t mobile has collaboration with airtel vodafone, I could communicate with cab drivers. So problem number 1 eradicated.

I shopped, met lovely simple people who didn't bother me, saw a movie, no one stared at my tight leggings and sheer shirt which trust me is impossible in north india.

Then to top it all, my driver had to take a diverted route which involved passing fishermen's colony and trust me it was superb. This place has contented people everywhere. As the cab passed, I saw an old woman sitting and observing traffic doing nothing just observing. She isn't angry or frustrated, she's just there in her regular seat near road with her little torn saree.

My cab driver didn't mumble on the route, he just steered through. He told me how the roads always have traffic even if its a sunday. It was such a normal happy conversation. Sometimes, all you need to restore faith is a simple man who doesn't really care for anything except finishing off work and returning to his kids. I like people here so much. They are happy, they are not trying to extort money out of people. Of course ,there are few moles everywhere.

While on that route, I witnessed life. There were fishermen with net and fresh fish wondering how much they caught. There is a white pet dog barking outside mud house, imagine when all these middle class people leave their dogs on road, there are dogs in those areas enjoying freedom and love.
There was a couch outside a house which they used for drying clothes. Hmm if only I had better words to describe it all. An old lady was fixing her almost 30 year old son's hair with so much affection giggling and adoring him. You could see that evident love.

School vans were taking kids back from school, kids looked exhausted but they were still cashing on the left time with friends. Then of course there was beach with old men playing poker under shades. A volleyball court stood right there without net. Drivers in taxis were helping each other out with traffic. There was this typical tamil young guy jumping on auto just for the fun of it and then jumped back along side road.

Its these minute glimpses of life appreciation that pull me back to chennai. If ever I do settle in India, it will be chennai. Hot weather can be fixed with cabs and ACs but attitude of people here and mere humility bowled me over again.

Yeah I love you chennai. Where else will I get cheap movie tickets and delicious south indian food.





No comments:

Post a Comment